Welcome back to Blacksburg, CWIB!
I hope each of you had fun, productive, and relaxing summer! Now that the days of beach trips and summer jobs are over, it’s time to turn our attention back to school. I know a lot of you are going to be juggling tough school schedules, part-time jobs, extra-curricular activities, and job searching. To help you start the year off strong, I have a few tips for all of you:
- Start Scheduling– Once you receive all of your syllabi and any other documents containing important dates, write them down somewhere. Having these dates laid out for you will help you easily keep track of your future exams, project deadlines, meetings, etc. You can utilize a traditional planner or the modern Google calendar to help you organize all of these dates. Whatever method you choose, make sure it’s one that you see yourself keeping up with!
- Don’t Fall Behind On Work– Syllabus week is arguably the most relaxed week of the semester. Just because this time is not busy, doesn’t mean you should just lay around and watch Netflix all day. Stay on top of the homework that’s assigned and if you have time, get ahead. As the semester starts to pick up, you’re going to have more things added to your plate. Don’t bring more stress upon yourself by slacking off on homework now because it will catch up with you!
- Get Into a Routine– Adapting a daily routine increases productivity because you get used to doing certain things in a certain order, which minimizes laziness. Get up at a reasonable time, prepare for your day, then go at it! Of course, things come up that may alter your schedule, but forming a steady routine will help you stay focused during the week so you can continuously complete the tasks you have to get done.
- Learn About More Opportunities– The beginning of the semester is the best time to join new clubs and programs. Whether you go to a big event like Pamplin Picnic (which is THIS Friday at 4 PM!) or stop by the numerous booths around campus, don’t be afraid to learn about opportunities that interest you. Virginia Tech does a great job at providing students with a variety of organizations that aim to help students achieve their goals. Do this now instead of at the end of the semester!
- Find Some Time To Relax– I know that all my previous tips have emphasized being productive, but it is important to maintain a work-life balance as well. Make sure to leave some time for yourself every day to do something that you love. Watch an episode (or two!) of your current Netflix show, get dinner with your friends, or go on a long walk. Taking time for yourself is essential for your mental health, so make sure to work it into your day as well.
I hope that you found these tips to be helpful to you and that you choose to adopt at least one of them! Make sure to stay up-to-date with the CWIB Chronicles throughout the semester for more beneficial articles like these! If you want to read about anything specific, feel free to reach out to the team!
Good luck this year, CWIB! You are all going to do great!